Friday, May 4, 2007

Lemon Jelly

Quick note about Lemon Jelly in the Latin Quartier/Blooms Quartier off the quays. It's real trendy and hip and has these awesome light-hangings and uber-hip chairs and tables. But a few weeks ago I got a tuna panini with pineapple and not only was it awful, they put like 2 pieces of pineapple in it.

When I decided to take a peek inside the sandwich to see why there was no taste of tropical pineapple-ness in my tuna-pineapple panini, I was horrified to find a chunk of ham wedged delightfully in between the ciabatta bread, snug as a bug. To put in perspective, for a Muslim kid finding ham in their food, is like finding a piece of dog in your burger (unless your Korean ofcourse, in that case whatever floats your boat). But the worse, worse thing of all was the attitude of the waiters and the managers there. They looked at me like I had just asked for a pound of their flesh. All I did was smile and point out the un-asked for ham in the fateful sandwich and they acted like it was my fault the pig flew in there.

Not only did they not apologise profusely they even charged me for the half I already ate, with god knows how many porky-pigs already in my belly.

My advice - skip this sub-standard, overpriced cafe with average food (they do smoothies, crepes, paninis, of which you can find better versions elsewhere) and head to the Epicurean, next street down.

The best Tuna-Pineapple panini ever can be found at Cafe Java in Donnybrook and Sandyford. It's like a hula party in your mouth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had a sandwich today, a relatively innocous one, and yet as i took a bite, i tasted a piece of pepper. Now i hate pepper, especially raw peppers and black pepper (you know like salt and pepper) i can taste it in anything, so i was very dismayed to find this icky pepper lurking in my sandwich. it was very off putting, uggg

I am Cake said...

what kinda sandwich was it? black pepper doesnt go with everything i guess. but you know what it's really good in? chicken sandwiches, with the crust cut off the bread, the chicken boiled and cut in small pieces. or maybe it's just me :)